Sponsors

Zenaap151

Jim Estill's 8 Rules Of Time

Rate this Entry
"1 It is much more important to have clear targets than to be efficient. It is more essential to work on the right issues than to perform efficiently. I liken this to the particular person who desires to get to Sudbury so gets in their car and drives 150 Km/hour. Does he get there before the person who checks the map (direction) and drives le...
I study the use of time and how to maximize productivity and enjoyment from it. From these research, I have come up with the following list of time guidelines:
1 It is far more important to have clear objectives than to be efficient. It is much more essential to work on the correct issues than to function efficiently. I liken this to the particular person who desires to get to Sudbury so gets in their automobile and drives 150 Km/hour. Does he get there before the particular person who checks the map (direction) and drives much less efficiently at say 100 KM/hour? Driving in the right direction is much more important than driving fast. I call this Leadership just before Management. Leadership is about direction, management is about efficiency. This is why I called my CD Time Leadership.
two Energy use is more essential than time use. I can get much far more done if I have the right power than if I just spend the time. Since of this, I work on things that give me power (eg. physical exercise, working on things I am inspired by, avoiding items that drain my energy etc.). I also try to recognize when I am high energy and invest these time carrying out high productivity tasks.
three Know what you have to do. I am not referring to targets right here, I am referring to precise tasks. Every course and book on time management talks about the TO DO list or some variation on it. Part of the cause for this list is to be able to prioritize (see 1). It also helps you to know your loading. One trick on a TO DO list is to put the first action to take to start on that item right on the list. Eg. If I am calling a vendor, I may possibly require to get a briefing on the relationship as the 1st step.
4 Discover to say NO politely of course. If you know your goals and priorities (see 1), you will see what items you are being asked to do that infringes on them. Possessing a TO DO list assists you know if you have time (see three).
5 Discover tricks. For me, the best sources of tricks are from other people who are effective in their jobs. I also get them from books and audio programs. Some of the a lot more effective tricks I use are:
Do the worst thing first thing. I decide on the a single issue I am procrastinating on and devote 15 minutes on it very first issue.
I adore the power of while. What can you do whilst you are working out or driving (of course first priority requirements to me to drive safely).and so forth? Often the answer is audio books.
I really like the power of focus. This conflicts with the preceding tip but in some circumstances this is the best way to get things completed. Focus only on the job you are operating on at the time.
6 Track how you spend your time. On the tracking sheet record what issues give you energy and what things take energy (see two). Determine how you feel you should invest your day and from the time sheets figure out the changes you might want to make. One particular idea I have worked on is The Perfect Day. What would be the elements of your perfect day?
7 Get rid of your Tv, or at least manage your use of it. Tv is North Americas biggest time waster. I have absolutely nothing against entertainment but I consider many people use Tv as a time waster and do not get great entertainment or learning from it.
8 - Study time use. I have written many articles and published a CD (and before that an audio tape) on Time Management. Even though I have read 40-50 books on the topic, over 100 articles, listened to several audio applications and attended half a dozen time management courses, I usually find out some thing new when I read a new one.
Lastly, many people consider I am too efficient or time focused. I do not deny that I am somewhat. Even so, excellent time use can also lead to a fuller life. Why not devote the time you need to devote effectively so you have a lot more time to do other items you want to do? city garage"
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments